Keeping ear canals dry is critical in the prevention of ear infections.
- To keep the ear canal dry when there is an infection in the ear.
- To keep water from entering the middle ear space when there is a perforation of the eardrum.
- To keep water from entering the middle ear space when there is a myringotomy tube in the eardrum.
- Coat a small piece of cotton with Vaseline ointment.
- Gently insert the cotton ball into the ear canal.
- Proceed to take a shower and wash hair.
- Remove the cotton ball from the ear canal.
If swimming is desired, ask for directions in purchasing earplugs and a headband to keep earplugs from falling out.